Thursday, January 28, 2010

Getting Started

    Well lets get you caught up to speed . . . When I was younger, I'll admit it, I was quite chunky.  Over the summers I would do nothing but eat, sleep, and play video games.  This all changed when I was encouraged to play on my friend's recreational soccer team.  I was very out of shape, but had strong legs and was good at clearing the ball down the field.  I think that motivation and encouragement, hearing people complement my abilities was what gave me the desire and determination to better myself.  From that point on I slowly began exercising more and putting down the video games to enjoy the outdoors.

    As I entered high school I had plenty of experience with soccer, my 8th grade county-wide team was actually the first out of my county to ever win the district tournament! I continued playing through high school, becoming the captain my senior year and coaching younger recreational teams along the way.  I was changing lives the way my first few coaches helped change me.

    I discovered the concept of working out in high school, as well.  The weightlifting coach had me in class once before so I was chosen to lead the class in every workout.  This leadership role was very new to me, but looking back on it seems as if it could have been what gave me the inspiration to begin coaching and teaching others.  Not to mention the awesome results I got from that class! Having to constantly demonstrate the correct form and speed with each exercise for the class to see was difficult at first, but very beneficial to my physical fitness.

   Before I even started playing sports, running 5k's, or anything athletic, I was already very competitive in everything I did!  And that competitiveness within me is what drives me to want more out of myself . . . learn more, be more, achieve more! That is one reason why I recently started the P90X!  For those of you who don't know what it is; in general it is a 90-day workout system by Tony Horton, it is kind of like cross-training, the person intensely works different parts of their body each day for maximum results. The saying is "Get ripped in 90 days".  I am on day 25 and seeing a good amount of results already.  I will be talking about the P90X often, along with cool things I learn about staying fit, and anything else I find interesting.


"Lack of activity destroys the good condition of every human being, while movement and methodical physical exercise save it and preserve it." -Plato

No comments:

Post a Comment